5 Ways to Keep Your Home Secure While on Vacation
All of us need to get out of town from time to time. Vacation is a great way to spend time with friends and family members and to experience a new place and culture.
It often provides a much-needed break from everyday stress, however, if your home isn’t properly secured with home security systems, then leaving town may actually create new stresses.
The following is a look at five ways to eliminate that kind of travel stress and ensure your home is properly secured when you go on vacation:
5 Ways to Keep Home Secure While on Vacation
- Integrate home security cameras as part of home security systems. If you haven’t already, consider adding in home security cameras like doorbell cameras on all exterior-opening doors.
These types of home security systems are motion-activated so that you’ll immediately receive an alert and video clip should someone be found on your front door. You can then alert the authorities if you anticipate they mean harm.
- Put a hold on mail. If you plan on being away for a week or longer, or if you have any big packages coming in, contact the post office and have them hold the mail until you return.
- Integrate smart lighting. Time-activated smart lighting will make it appear as though your home is occupied through the day and night.
- Tackle yard work before you go. Overgrown grass and bushes can signify to would-be burglars that owners aren’t home. So, take care of yard work before you leave town or schedule lawn maintenance service during your vacation to keep up appearances.
- Remove any ‘hidden’ keys. Having a spare key outside can be a real lifesaver when you’re in town but it can be an unnecessary risk when you’re gone, and thieves have all the time to look for it. So, remove any ‘hidden’ keys you have and instead give a spare to a neighbor or friend.
With these tips we hope you have better peace of mind next time you travel!