Global Warming: How to Make Your Factory Eco-Friendly
Global warming results from greenhouse gas pollution and it is changing our planet. The earth’s surface temperature has increased by 1 degree Celsius from the temperature level experienced in pre-industrial times. While the temperature rise may look small, it has caused many big changes to the global climate that have affected us negatively.
So, we must take the necessary steps to counter the many effects of pollution and global warming. To do that, we have to adopt eco-friendly operations in manufacturing facilities. Here are some of the tips to consider if you are planning to make your factory eco-friendly.
- Recycling Waste from the Production Facility
All industrial facilities generate waste, which escalates the pollution and global warming problems. Still, every manufacturer can make the world greener and a better place for us all by adopting recycling. Here are some of the steps you can take for your manufacturing facility to benefit from recycling.
- Start working with a recycling facility to recycle waste coming from your production lines. Recycling facilities will accept glass, waste, cartridges, and electronics.
- Do not release wastewater into the environment anymore. Instead, reuse it for other purposes like watering plants and washing.
- Identify companies that can accept waste from your manufacturing facility and work with them. Some companies may use the waste from your manufacturing company as their raw material. For example, if your factory uses wood, some paper-making companies will accept the chippings and use them as their raw materials.
Some of the things your factory may be releasing to the environment as waste might be a resource for other companies. So, check whether there are companies in your area that can benefit from your factory’s waste. If none of the companies is ready to accept it, work with recycling facilities to recover some materials.
- Choose an Eco-Friendly Supplier
While you might be forced to work alone, your efforts will have a small impact on countering the effects of global warming. Further, they might not address the problem. Therefore, you have to team up with the other parties within your supply chain ifyou would want the results of your efforts to bear fruits. One of the effective steps to take involves working with eco-friendly suppliers. When choosing a machinery or raw materials supplier, prioritize those who have installed strategies to help cut down carbon footprint.
- Upgrade Your Machinery
If the machines in your factory are very old or failing, they are inefficient. The efficiency of old machines, such as conveyors and motors will continue deteriorating even after you do everything possible to keep them in the right condition. Their deterioration will result in higher energy consumption. The high energy consumption will not only eat into your monthly and annual profits but it may sink your factory into losses in extreme cases.
Apart from reducing the operation costs, upgrading your factory machinery will reduce your carbon footprint in the following ways.
- Updated machinery and new technology will increase the productivity of your factory.
- Modern machinery will help implement automation in the factory.
- Enhances the safety of the workplace.
- Work with Stakeholders: Iskander Mkhmudov
As you promote a green supply chain, consider extending your influence to the other stakeholders. Extending your influence to all stakeholders is important if you do not have enough time to engage in activities like caring for animals or planting trees. Ural Mining Metallurgical Company (UMMC) is among the companies that are already working with stakeholders to counter the effects of global warming. This company headed by Iskander Makhmudov uses around 3 billion RUB each year to protect the environment by working with several stakeholders.
As a manufacturer, you should work to reduce pollution and global warming. One of the best ways to do that is by promoting sustainability. The above tips will help you make the production efficient, green, and profitable.