Guarding Your Oral Health Through Dental Sealants
There are several oral hygiene methods to keep dental decay at bay, such as regular brushing, flossing, and antimicrobial mouth rinse. But these may not be sufficient, especially for kids who have unhealthy habits. Dental sealants play a vital role in overcoming these issues.
A Denver, CO dentist strives to provide safe, easy, and affordable sealant application that helps prevent tooth decay in caries-prone patients.
What are dental sealants?
Sealants are defined as liquid solutions or coatings painted onto the occlusal (chewing) surfaces of your premolars and molars that consist of deep grooves. Once applied, these films are cured and hardened to shield and protect your teeth from harmful cavity-causing bacteria.
Sealants are made up of different materials like resin (plant or synthetic) or glass ionomers (a mixture of glass powder and water-soluble acid)
When are dental sealants recommended?
Your premolars and molars are teeth that help you grind and chew your food. These teeth consist of deep grooves where food may get stuck. Regular brushing and flossing cannot reach the deep grooves, which increases bacterial infiltration, leading to dental decay. Sealants coat these areas so that bacteria cannot reach the grooves.
Anyone prone to caries can get dental sealants applied. However, children and teenagers are good candidates for sealants.
- It is recommended for children and teenagers around the age group of 6 to 14 years as a preventive measure.
- Adults prone to caries also benefit from sealants when they have deep grooves in their permanent teeth.
How are dental sealants applied?
Sealant application involves the following steps:
- The teeth are isolated using a rubber dam to prevent excess moisture since it may interfere with the hardening of the sealant.
- A special solution is applied on the teeth’s surface so that the sealant bonds with the teeth’s enamel.
- After about 10 minutes, the teeth are rinsed and air-dried.
- The sealant is then applied to the deep grooves and depressions.
- The material may harden itself or require a special curing light (LED light)
How are dental sealants beneficial?
Dental sealant application is a popular preventive measure due to the following benefits:
- Are cost-effective
- Seal the deep grooves of the occlusal surfaces effectively
- Can be used for both children and adults
- Simple and painless procedure
- Saves time from extensive dental procedures
Dental sealants are excellent products that help prevent caries in children, teenagers, and adults since they block the invasion of bacteria into the deep grooves. This helps avoid any extensive dental procedures in the future.