Here’s how an Atlanta personal injury attorney can help!
Following an unfortunate accident, you may find yourself in a stressful situation. If you sustained serious injuries, you will have to pay huge medical bills and may incur other losses. When the accident is a result of someone’s negligence or disregard for safety, you can file a personal injury lawsuit, seeking compensation from the at-fault party. Georgia is a fault state, and as the victim, you have certain rights. If you are wondering about getting legal advice, here are some ways in which an Atlanta personal injury attorney can help.
- Explain your legal rights. A skilled attorney can explain all your rights and legal options, depending on your circumstances. Your injury lawyer will also give a fair evaluation of the case and expected settlement, so that you have realistic expectations as you proceed ahead.
- Protect from insurance tactics. Insurance companies are in the business of making profit. At the end of the day, they want to minimize the compensation amounts they way. For a layman, it can be hard to understand bad faith insurance tactics. When you hire a personal injury attorney, you can expect them to handle everything related to the insurance claim.
- Investigate the accident. Another big reason to hire an attorney is to investigate the case. Your lawyer will do their share of homework to gather evidence, so that fault can be established. Once parties responsible for your losses and injuries are identified, your lawyer will suggest the best course of action accordingly.
- Maximize your settlement. Lawyers usually take personal injury cases on a contingency basis. What does that mean? Your lawyer will only ask for a fee, if they win, and this is a fixed percentage of the settlement. As such, your lawyer will be interested in maximizing the compensation amount.
- Help in avoiding the mistakes. While most cases are often settled outside of court, a good personal injury attorney will prepare for all possible circumstances. People often make the mistake of accepting whatever the claims adjuster has offered, which is usually way less than what they deserve. A lawyer will ensure that you don’t make unnecessary mistakes.
If you are new to hiring a personal injury lawyer, do your homework. You can check websites like Avvo for top-rated lawyers in your area in Atlanta. Also, check reviews of an attorney before you select one. The first meeting with a lawyer is usually complementary.