Complicated divorce: Hire an attorney at the earliest
Ending a marriage is always harder than getting married. Divorce is not just about paperwork, and no matter how practical you are, the whole process can trigger many emotions. If you are in Utah and fulfil residency requirements, you can file for a no-fault divorce citing “irreconcilable differences”. If you and your spouse can discuss and resolve important issues, the divorce can be finalized within months. Unfortunately, divorces are often more complicated than people imagine. Hiring a lawyer is necessary, and here’s why.
- Get a protective order. If your spouse was cruel to you, or has been threatening after you have filed for divorce, you may want to get a restraining order. The restraining doesn’t necessarily stop domestic violence, but can heighten the consequences. If you are hiring a Sandy domestic violence lawyer, let them know if you fear your spouse or worry about the safety of your kids and family.
- Open up to legal advice. Not everything that your lawyer says about the divorce is likely to be pleasant, but there are here to un-mess everything. For instance, if your job demands you to travel for 15 days a month, having the custody of your kids may not be a wise decision. When you are in a complicated divorce, your attorney’s advice must be considered.
- Set a budget. When spouses don’t cooperate with one another, divorce can drag for long. This will also add to the costs of your divorce. Ask the attorney for a ballpark estimate, and make sure that you have a budget aside to deal with the costs. Divorce lawyers usually charge a retainer fee, or have an hourly rate, depending on the facts and work involved in the case.
- Allow your lawyer to take over. If things are messy between you and your spouse, mediation is extremely important. Let your attorney handle talks with your spouse and their lawyer, so that things are settled amicably to the best possible extent. A good lawyer will try to resolve things out of court, but they will also prep for a trial, if they find enough reason to do so.
- Experience is key. There are certain common aspects about divorces. You need an attorney, who has worked on cases similar to yours. Experience and expertise are aspects that differentiate one lawyer from another.
Paying a tad more for the right divorce lawyer is never a bad idea in the first place.